Learn how to customize your WordPress site to to fit your business
Once you know how to use WordPress, your goals start to change. You know how to do the basics: publish posts, create pages, show them in menus, and get the whole thing working. But there are tons of things you’re struggling with: how to change the size or color of a page element, how to add a calendar to your site, or make the SEO tweaks to get the results you want.
That’s where this class comes in. In Customize your WordPress site you will learn how to get an awesome site with cool features that you dream of. While we promise no miracles, we’re pretty good at this WordPress thing, and can direct you to the how and why of really changing your whole game with WordPress. We’ll point you towards the right plugins, explain the depths and breadth of customizing themes, and way more.
Upon successful completion of the Customize Your WordPress Site class, students will learn:
- Session 1: Review and Visual Customization
- Review WordPress as a Content Management System
- Customizing Appearance — Customizer in Depth
- Using the customizer default panels themselves to do things
- Set a Site Icon (Favicon)
- Create and Edit a Menu
- Create and edit a widget area in the customizers
- Using the “Additional CSS” Area
- What’s CSS? HTML? How do they interact?
- Theme Marketplaces
- Custom Theme Development
- Session 2: The Power of Plugins
- Plugin Overview
- What are plugins, what are some popular plugins, what’s the “plugin repository”
- How to decide if a plugin is “good”, and why “good” matters
- Premium Plugins + “Extensions”: where they fit in
- Using popular plugins such as backups, caching, security, under construction, redirection, Yoast SEO & Analytics, Jetpack, WooCommerce & more
- Using Gutenberg vs Classic Editor
Important Note: This class does not go into specific detail regarding installation and/or building of your specific site; this process varies greatly from site to site.
If you are interested in customized help with your personal WordPress site, we offer hourly consulting and would be happy to help you every step along the way. Request a customized hourly consult here.
- 6 hours of classroom training
- Additional coursework may need to be completed outside of class time
- Professional Textbook
- Download materials with practice data files
- Free access to CoWorking space on class days (FC Only)
- One month of technical support
- One year for a free re-take (for attended students of public classes only)
- Certificate of Completion
- Target student: Beginner to Intermediate
- Project based assignments and structured hands-on activities throughout class
- Computer & software provided in class
- Class size limited
Instructor led, group-paced, classroom-delivery learning model with structured hands-on activities. Project based assignments in a WordPress test environment will be provided throughout class. Available for Private or Group Sessions.
Certificate Programs & Bootcamps
Terms & Conditions
Please read our Terms and Conditions before you register.
Available Public Classes
Space Available: 16 seat(s)
Location: Digital Workshop Center - Ft. Collins - View Map
Streaming Live Online
Space Available(Online): 16 seat(s)
Course Closing Date: 3-14-2020
|Choose Location: Digital Workshop Center - Ft. Collins - Online|
Available Private Training
Digital Workshop Center offers each class in a private, one-on-one format. Private training may be scheduled around your availability and customized to your specific needs.
Consulting allows you to work one on one with your instructor, but does not follow a class curriculum.
If the public class schedule above is not ideal, please choose from the following options: